Raspberry Pi NES
Quote this message in a reply
#1 - Raspberry Pi NES on Mon, May 27th, 2013 02:11 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

See http://lagserv.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=17&page=109 first.
----
I was thinking about it last night and decided to fire up a raspberry pi and play around with it. It turns out that there's already software that work work nicely for this kind of thing.

Though the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I was never really a fan of the arcade controls over a gamepad. Plus the parts for two controllers and the thought of building an enclosure kind of turned me off. But I remembered that we have a spare NES here which doesn't read games very well. Then I thought it would be kind of neat to have an NES be a case for a Raspberry Pi, and ended up with this:

It works, but it's kind of big. I was trying for something that was a bit more practical than just having a PCB on your desk, but I'm not yet convinced this is it. It raises my second monitor up more than I'd like. Any other ideas for cases? Maybe something a little slimmer.

[Image: 76561197971959100.png]
(This post was last modified: Mon, May 27th, 2013 02:13 AM by Cheese.)
#2 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Mon, May 27th, 2013 01:58 PM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

i remember a guy who put a usb stick and a usb snes controller and put a bunch of roms on the controller itself.

I thought that was kind of neat. a raspberry pi would be too big though.
#3 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Tue, May 28th, 2013 12:15 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Ah, that's too bad. Well, I'm still going to make a cabinet.

The NES has a pretty large case, in my opinion, especially when compared to other devices... How about a VCR? Or one of the slimmer PS2 models? I've seen photos of people using GameBoys and even LEGO (probably not too great of an idea).

Alternatively, you could just stack some old textbooks under your other monitor so that they're both at an even height. lol

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#4 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Tue, May 28th, 2013 12:36 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

lol. A textbook is actually a good idea for raising a monitor. I was using an old game box before, but it was kind of wobbly.

I think the biggest turn off to using an old NES as a case is that I can't bring myself to throw away all the components that used to be inside. I've been exploring the catalogs of a few electronics distributors and I've found a couple of cases that would be easy to cut up and modify without feeling bad about it. That's what they're designed for, after all. Something like this:

[Image: plastic-boxes-pc-i.jpg]

Alex, if you do make a cabinet and want help interfacing the buttons, I'll still help. It's an interesting problem. I'm thinking that it would be most compatible to simply "emulate" a keyboard. Every emulator will work that way, and there's easily enough keys for up to 4 players.

When that iControlPad I ordered so long ago finally arrives, it'll be a good way to control something powered by the Raspberry Pi, since it's basically a keyboard.

(This post was last modified: Tue, May 28th, 2013 12:38 AM by Cheese.)
#5 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Tue, May 28th, 2013 10:17 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Considering the NES isn't yours you better not throw away the components inside.
#6 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Sat, Nov 2nd, 2013 04:49 AM
abid.ali
Unregistered

Electronics back then didn't have cooling.

There's tonnes more air in there then per say a laptop or a mini ITX case. I'm sure heat wont be an issue.

Hey wtf...

Is that an AMD cpu i see?
#7 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Sat, Nov 2nd, 2013 11:27 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Where's an AMD CPU?

lol, wow. That was just socks's post from an earlier thread. Crazy that it actually fit that well.

(This post was last modified: Sat, Nov 2nd, 2013 12:20 PM by Cheese.)
#8 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Sat, Nov 2nd, 2013 03:00 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

These bots.

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#9 - RE: Raspberry Pi NES on Mon, Nov 4th, 2013 11:33 PM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

lmao thats awesome!

where was that post from lol

edit: ahhh macintosh plus topic.
(This post was last modified: Mon, Nov 4th, 2013 11:34 PM by tehsocks.)